Investing In You: December
For many, landing a new job in December seems virtually impossible. The hum of business slows to a crawl as the focus tends to be on finalizing existing deals. Employees tend to utilize accrued vacation time, budgets are frozen and the focus turns to potential bonuses and holiday gatherings. Still, as a job seeker, you can improve your chances of landing a job in 2021 by using this time to invest in yourself.
Below you will find two recommendations for the next 30 days that can improve the chances of landing your next opportunity in January.
Research Interview Questions and Answers
Congratulations if you nailed the answers in your last interview. However, If you’re like most of us, you probably left the interview wishing you responded a bit differently. Now is an ideal time to review your answers from your last interview and practice well-formulated, polished responses for your next interview. While you’re at it, do a web search for “Top 10 Interview Questions” (or similar) for the position you’re seeking.
Delphi asked our client hiring managers what they look for in an answer and here are a few responses:
- A clear response to the question. Bonus points if they can tie it in to the job description.
- With video interviews I’m trying to see if they know the answer or are looking at offscreen notes.
- Since we’re all meeting virtually these days I want someone who appears relaxed and confident on screen. This is what we’ll be doing if you get the job, so show me you can do it now.
- I’m looking for dialogue. I read your resume. Let’s talk about how you feel your accomplishments will help my organization.
Brush Up on your Video Interview Technique
Whether you like it or not, video interviews are here for the foreseeable future. That means you’ll have to get past the anxiety often associated with a live web interview, or pre-recorded video interview.
By now, you have likely had a few video interviews so we’ll skip the lighting and background tips. If you’re new to this, a quick web search will give you plenty of information. As for your technique:
- Research. Research answers to common interview questions as well as ones specific to the job for which you’re interviewing.
- Test. Get comfortable with the various video software to eliminate any issues when signing on for your interview. This is also a good time to determine the best location, factoring lighting, background and voice clarity.
- Rehearse. Use Skype, Zoom, Google Hangout or a similar tool to practice answering questions. Record the interview. When reviewing, pay attention to your body language, posture, articulation, succinct responses, background, voice clarity, and lighting.
While you may not get that job in December, the work you put in now will help position you for success in 2021 as more jobs are posted and organizations aggressively target goals.
Looking for help? Your Delphi-US representative is available! The Delphi team is well-versed in the information technology marketplace and can help you create a roadmap, and get you in front of hiring managers who value your skills.
Delphi-US is a national recruiting firm with expertise in IT, Engineering and Professional Staffing. We offer a flexible delivery model applying specific industrial knowledge to our clients’ hiring requirements, along with an uncompromised level of success, integrity, and proven expertise to our clients across the United States.